Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Getting Close

We are getting close to our departure date.  Just a couple last minute reminders.  If you are able to choose your seats through a mobile app such as United then don't check in until the very last moment.  Once you check in you cannot switch your seats.  With the mobile app you can switch your seats all the way up into check-in.  When we get to the airport I take a last minute look at the seating and change if there is a possible better seat.

Start thinking about what to pack now!  Think about what outfits you plan to wear.  If you can - start setting some things aside.  I get my toiletry bag ready in advance so I am not waiting until the last minute.  I fill all my shampoos - hair products - toothpaste - etc.  I have a laundry basket in my closet that I start to put items in so I have them all in one place and ready to go.  You will feel less rushed at the last minute.  I usually stay with a common color scheme for clothes so that everything matches.  Plus I only have to take one pair of heels and one pair of sandals and they match everything.

If you don't have a credit card that waves foreign transaction fees think about applying for one now.  Some have a certain spend amount to get bonus points - the trip would be a great way to meet that amount.  Most give you three months.

If you only have one checking account therefor only one Debit card think about opening another checking account at a different bank.  Many credit unions do not charge any fees for checking accounts.  I believe Notre Dame credit union is one of these.  I absolutely love Navy Federal Credit Union.  Even though they do not have any branches close I can deposit money using the mobile app from my phone.  I just write a check to Navy Federal from a different account.  They have great rates for withdrawals overseas. 

Start looking for items you might purchase just for the trip.  I like to buy things on clearance so I start looking a couple months in advance.  Compact umbrella, inflatable neck pillow, eye mask, ear buds, ear plugs, medicine, etc.   Did you get travel adapters??

Round up those shower curtain bags now to use as packing cubes.  If your favorite snack is on sale buy extra and save it for the trip.  Turn in those coins you have been saving forever for a little extra spending money.  Take pictures of the important items you are taking such as passports, travel documents, and credit cards.  Anything you can do now will save you time and stress the week of the trip. 

NOTE:  If you bring a small appliance such as a hair dryer, flat iron, curling iron, shaver, etc - IT MUST BE DUAL VOLTAGE.  If it doesn't say it in the documentation then google it.  If it is not dual voltage it will blow up overseas.  We have 110 voltage where as they have 220.  I do not recommend a step-down converter.  I have tried several and they all get hot and burn up.  Amazon has a flat iron for 20 dollars that is dual voltage.  Your electronics such as phone, camera, IPad, tablet will be fine.  However to charge them you will need a converter. 

Here are the two converters you will need.  One type is for Ireland and one is for Italy.  I like the smaller ones for Italy like the black below because they fit into recessed sockets.  Below the travel converters is a picture of a recessed socket in Italy.  They are not all like this but some are and you never know.  Some of the Italy converters have 3 prongs but 2 will work.



No comments:

Post a Comment