Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Currency Exchange

The Euro had been hanging out right around 90 to 92 cents on the US dollar for quite a few months.  Unfortunately that changed about a month ago.  Now the Euro is averaging around 88 cents on the US dollar.  What does that mean?  It means - if something cost 1 euro it actually costs (rounded up) 1.14 US.  So for every euro to get the US price multiply it by 1.14.  For example - first night in Dublin a room is 125 euro.  That would be 125 X 1.14 = 142.50.  We have over 5 weeks so it could change.  I will be saying my prayers.

Remember that your best exchange rate will be at an ATM.  Only take out as much as you think you might need because they will charge you to exchange it back to US.  Spend all of your change because they won't take change.  

Always have cash though because a lot of pubs in Ireland only take cash.  Cash is definitely used more in Ireland and Italy than here.  I would say we are a card society.  We think nothing of putting a couple dollars on a card.  I know I rarely have cash but I carry my debit card everywhere. 

AND DON'T FORGET TO FILE A TRAVEL NOTE WITH YOUR CREDIT AND DEBIT CARD BANKS.  If you don't you have about a 97% chance that they will lock the card.  Do this about a week before leaving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment