Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2016

TOILETS

I know toilets are a weird subject but they are one of the things I notice most overseas.  I mean we all need them - right?  However they do differ from country to country.  Some countries are similar to ours but you cannot flush any products such as toilet paper.  It was this way in Costa Rica.  In Asian countries squat toilets are common.  Well not only Asia but other places in the world including Europe.  Try to use one of these when you have had a bit too much to drink (and you are a girl).  I struggled in China.

Ireland has toilets similar to ours but you will find several with a different flushing system.  They will have a round circle on the tank and depending on which half of the circle you push is the type of flush produced.  You have a full flush for number 2 and a half flush for number 1.  We found a lot of these in Australia also.  Some toilets in Ireland  (and Italy) have the tanks hidden behind walls.  The good news is most women's restrooms have toilet seats. 

I cannot say this for Italy.  I would say about 50% of the toilets I have used in public places in Italy in the women's restroom have the toilet seat removed.  Yet I will glance in the men's restroom and they have one.  Riddle me that Joker!!  I also find that it is common to have separate rooms for the toilet but the sink is on the outside and you share it with the men's restroom.  Bidets are common in Italy.  They call the bidet the paperless toilet because you clean your bum with water instead. 

Another thing common in Ireland (and other parts of the world) is the way water is heated for a shower.  It is an electric heater attached to the shower head.  I actually really like this because it is easy to get the water temperature just right. 

Make sure in Europe you take change with you because there are places that charge.  I believe the last time I was in the mall in Waterford Ireland I had to pay.  It is usually 10 or 20 cents.  I also always keep toilet paper with me.  I hate finding out when I go to reach for toilet paper that there isn't any.  No square to spare!  I also keep wet wipes with me. 
 Below you will see some examples.  The top picture is from one of our apartments in Venice.  You can see the tank is in the wall on the regular toilet and there is a bidet.  On the bottom going left to right is a squat toilet, a typical bidet/toilet setup, and the double flushing button.

1 comment:

  1. I find this a fascinating subject too! The most difficult I found was in Greece where you had to place tissue in a little bin beside the toilet! I feel so sorry for whoever has to clean them. Secondly on a train trip[ in India I was desperate for the toilet. The train toilet was a hole in the floor with the world whizzing by under you as you "went".

    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete