Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

Let's Talk about the Plane Flight

I think something that is concerning quite a few people about this trip is the long plane flight.  If you are flying direct from Chicago you will be on the plane close to 8 hours.  Yes it does seem like a long time to be on a plane but if you mentally prepare yourself it really isn't that bad.  I know - you think that is easy for me to say because I don't mind flying and I can usually sleep on a plane with no problems but even I have to mentally prepare myself for flights over 4 hours.

I know when I get on a long flight I better make myself comfortable and I do as much as I can to stay occupied.  Here are a few things that help me:

1) Make sure you have something to keep you warm in case the flight gets chilly.  They give you a small blanket but that's not always enough.  I always bring a scarf and a jacket on every flight with me and I wear long pants - usually leggings that are comfortable. 

2) Pack snacks and buy water right before you board.  You can always ask a flight attendant for water but it is nice to have with you.  I always make sure to bring plenty to munch on for when I get hungry!!  I don't always like the airline food and more airlines are starting to charge for food.  Norwegian Air charges for food even on their international flights.  DO NOT buy the water ahead of time because you cannot take it through security.  BUT DO stay hydrated.  The plane is extremely dry. 

3) Pack something to help you sleep on the flight - there are a lot of great over the counter options.  I use sleep aids on the flight over to Europe and then I try to stay awake on the flight back home.  I want to be exhausted when I arrive home so that I fall into bed that first night and get back on track to our time.  Dublin is 5 hours ahead of us and Venice is 6.  If light bothers you pack a sleeping mask.

4) Make sure you have any pain medicine or prescription meds with you in your bag.  You want those Advil or Tums close. 

5) Bring your favorite ear buds.  The plane will provide you ear buds or ear phones but sometimes they don't work or fit you correctly.  I NEVER board a flight without my ear buds.  Most international flights offer movies and in flight entertainment.  The movies are usually movies that have recently left the box office.  If you get bored with movies be sure to bring something to read.  I have a Kindle and download books ahead of time.  You will have to pay for Wi-Fi on most flights.

6) Download the whitenoise app to your cell phone.  I use this app all the time.  If there are crying kids on the plane you will be so thankful to have the app to sleep.  If you don't like something like whitenoise then remember to bring ear plugs. 

7) They will offer you small pillows on the plane but I like to bring my own inflatable pillow.  I know where the pillow has been and sometimes I even use it throughout the trip.  I pack an inflatable one because I can let the air out and pack it easily.

8) I always bring the following so I can freshen up an hour before we land: toothbrush and toothpaste,   wet wipes or personal wet clothes, makeup remover wipes, makeup, small hair spray, small brush, and a small vile of perfume.  NOTE:  Do not use the hair spray in the airplane lavatory or on the plane.  Wait until you land and then run to the bathroom.  Trust me - I have set off the fire alarm in the lavatory before. 

9) When you are not sleeping get up and walk around every so often to keep your circulation going. 

10) Pick an aisle seat if you can.  Then you can get up and go to the bathroom when you want.  However the down side is - you will have to move from time to time for the person at the window or middle seat. 

11) Pick the right seat if you can.  I know this is not always an option.  However we always try to get a seat free between us so we have extra room.  We will book towards the very back - about 4 rows from the last row - and book two aisle seats so the seat is empty in between us.  Those are usually the last seats to get filled.  If it is a full flight you can give up the aisle seat for the middle seat to sit next to your partner.  I have never found ANYONE who didn't want to give up the middle seat.   Download seatguru when choosing a seat.  It is a great application and will let you know if a seat will not recline or is partial recline - etc.  Getting the exit row may give you extra legroom but not all of those seats recline. 

12)  And last but not least - sit back and relax and enjoy the ride!!  When you finally get off the flight you will be in Dublin Ireland!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment