Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Back to Packing

I know I have talked a lot about packing but I cannot express how much it can make a difference in your trip.  Airlines are notorious now for charging for everything.  You will pay big bucks if you take too much.  Every airline has their own rules and it is always good to check the rules prior to purchasing the flight.  Some allow a carry-on for free but the weight cannot exceed 22 pounds.  On top of the cost is the hassle.  I hate lugging bags around.  If you are anything like me you have your favorite outfits anyway.  Why not plan to wear an outfit you love a couple of times. 

The outfit I fly in is probably the outfit I take the most time picking out.  I want something comfortable while flying yet I want something presentable when I land.  The outfit I fly in I know I won't be able to wear again until it is laundered.  Trust me on this!!!  My last trip to Europe I wore an oversized shirt over leggings with boots.  Even though I had to take my boots off to go through security it saved a ton of room in my bag.  The shirt was dressy enough to be presentable when we landed yet comfortable because it was oversized.  Leggings are great because they are extremely comfortable and with the right shirt very presentable.  Instead of packing my jacket (I knew I would need one in Ireland) I wore it on the plane and stuffed it in my tote when I didn't need it.  It can get chilly on the plane so I was thankful to have it with me.  If it is too large to stuff in your tote you can always thread it through the handle of your carry-on. 

This setup is actually my favorite:  Some people might prefer a small backpack instead of a tote.


I always make sure the carry-on is as lightweight as I can buy.  Some carry-ons can weigh quite a bit which means you get less weight for your items.  I make sure my purse is small enough to fit in the tote so the tote can be my personal item when needed.  If you already own a carry-on I would weigh it.  The older carry-ons can weigh in excess of 10 to 12 pounds.  It might be better for you to purchase a new lightweight carry-on.  In the long run you will save on luggage fees .  Budget airlines charge for luggage based on weight.  It is cheaper for a 10K bag (22 pounds) than a 20K bag (44 pounds). 

My husband is 6'2 and wears a size 14 shoe so of course his carry-on is always closer to 30 pounds.  Sometimes when flying with a budget airline - if you purchase a checked back at 15K they will give you a 10K carry-on for free.  So we balance out.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment